Sunday, May 1, 2011

Running on Rocks

My whole life I've wanted to be a competitor. I was a sprinter when I was young. I could run on rocks barefoot and beat anyone I ran against. There's one day I'll never forget when I was challenged to an unofficial race against a boy who later went on to win the state sprinting championship - I beat him! I grew up on a farm in South Dakota where I worked hard. We lived so far from town that staying after school for any extra curricular activities was nearly impossible. I had to get up early to do chores and come home from school and do more chores. My whole life was working on the farm. I credit all the heavy lifting of feed buckets for the animals for the foundation of my muscles. I loved that life, but I didn't have the opportunity to explore my athletic ability as much as I wanted. My dream was to go into ballet, but because of the beliefs of the church my family attended, I was not allowed to dance and was signed up for piano lessons instead...for five years. Needless to say, I did not excel in that.

Now, for the first time in my life, things have come together - my attitude, my support system, my finances, my determination - to make it possible for me to shoot for my dreams - to challenge my body to do things it has never done before and I just want to shout out that I'M LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT! Yes! I'm not going to let age stop me. There's a fire burning inside me and that can't be put out. I feel better at this time of my life than I ever have before - sore muscles and all!
Watch me train!





Lifting weights, running on rocks, I love it all!

9 comments:

  1. Champion in the making at any age. Your chronological age just makes it more impressive. Nice lat spread. Since meeting you I have a strong suspicion your only 32.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There we go!!! That's a champion waiting to take her title!! Bring it girl!!! You've got the right stuff, it is your time to shine! You know I love ya and got your back all the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, so excited for you! 47, really???

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing! What a story! Go get what you want, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you make us proud Bekah! Go get em!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so amazing! The look of determinatino and the smiles in your photos just says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, your writing helped me a lot ...
    i like this blog,,
    by Lose Weight Fast

    ReplyDelete